Stripe is an online payment processing service that allows you to accept online credit card payments on your Wild Apricot website. Stripe supports recurring payments (aka subscriptions) and does not require you to set up a merchant account. Wild Apricot supports Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) for Stripe as required within the European Economic Area (EEA).
If you enable a payment system other than Wild Apricot Payments, and your organization is based in the US or Canada, a 20% Payment System Servicing Fee will be applied to your account's billing plan on your next renewal date on or after July 2, 2019. For more information, click here.
Paying using Stripe
Once you've integrated Stripe with your Wild Apricot site, visitors to your site can pay online for membership fees and event registrations, and make donations.
When a visitor fills out an integrated online form on your Wild Apricot website (e.g. membership application or event registration) and chooses to pay online, they will be redirected to a Stripe Checkout payment screen to make the payment.
The Stripe Checkout screen, which provides added security as required by the European Union's SCA regulations, will only appear only if you have entered your publishable key as part of your payment settings in Wild Apricot (see below). If you haven't entered your publishable key, visitors to your site will pay using a Wild Apricot payments screen, and if your organization is based in the EU, some payments may be rejected.
On the form, the payer fills out their credit card details and their billing information, then click the Pay button to complete the payment.
Metadata including name, address, and phone number is not passed to Stripe.
After the payment is processed, the visitor is returned to the Invoices and payments tab on their member profile, where an invoice will appear, along with a payment entry, if the payment was successful.
For security reasons, credit card information is not stored in Wild Apricot. Instead, it is securely transmitted to Stripe where it is processed. Stripe then returns the status of the payment transaction, which is recorded in your Wild Apricot transaction details.
Integrating with Wild Apricot
You can integrate an existing Stripe account with your Wild Apricot site, or create a new Stripe account as part of the integration process.
To integrate a Stripe account with Wild Apricot, follow these steps:
- Click the Settings menu then click the Payment settings option (under Your account).
- On the Payment settings screen, click the Edit button. If you don't see an Edit button at the top of the screen, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click Other payment settings, then click the Edit button on the screen that appears.
- Click the Payment system drop-down list and select Stripe.
- Click the Connect to Stripe button.
- If you already have a Stripe account, click the Sign in option to sign into your existing Stripe account.
If you don't have a Stripe account yet, fill out the form to create one. After signing into your new or existing Stripe account, you'll be returned to the Payment settings screen in Wild Apricot.
- From the Payment settings screen in Wild Apricot, click the Default country drop-down list and select the country where the majority of your visitors reside. Your selection will appear as the default country to your customers.
- Select the currency you want to use in your transactions. Do not change the currency after your site begins accepting online payments. If you change the currency, existing payment records will not be recalculated and will no longer display correct amounts.
- In the Instructions fields, add payment instructions to be displayed to your customers.
- Click Save changes.
Now that you have set up your Wild Apricot site to receive online payments through Stripe, a Pay online button will appear after a visitor to your site clicks the Confirm button while applying for membership or registering for an event.