Whiteboard themes are simple and easily customized, yet fully responsive. Like the more complex Bookshelf themes, Whiteboard themes are mobile friendly and scale down automatically to different screen sizes.
The Whiteboard theme set is part of a series of themes designed for business and trade associations. Though designed with library and teacher associations in mind, Whiteboard themes can be used by any type of organization, particularly if you want to take advantage of its responsiveness and its ease of customization.
Themes within the theme set
The Whiteboard theme set consists of the following variations:
By default, responsiveness is enabled in all Whiteboard themes. You can, however, disable the responsive behavior using theme overrides.
With responsiveness enabled, gadgets will be stacked within a single column on mobile devices, and resized to match the device's screen width. A mobile version of the site menu will be displayed, with a limit of 3 levels in total (main menu plus 2 submenu levels). Only horizontal menus are available for responsive themes.
To disable responsive behavior within Whiteboard themes, follow these steps:
- Enable theme overrides (if you have not done so already).
- Click the link to download the theme files.
- Unzip the theme files to a location of your choice on your computer or network.
- Using a text editor, open the basic.responsive.grid.less file from the Styles folder.
- Replace the following lines...
@state2-minwidth: 600px; @state2-maxwidth: 959px; @state3-maxwidth: 616px;
@state2-minwidth: 0px; @state2-maxwidth: 0px; @state3-maxwidth: 0px;
- Upload the modified basic.responsive.grid.less file to the Styles theme folder on your site from the Files screen or using WebDAV.
- Click the Rebuild theme button on the Theme overrides screen.
The site will now appear the same regardless of device size.
The Whiteboard theme set is a simpler version of the Bookshelf theme set.
There is more white space, and no shadows or gradients. The gadget styles are simpler, with fewer styles to choose from. It makes for a great starting point for a fully customized yet responsive site.
For a modern look, we chose OpenSans as the base font.
Whiteboard themes provide theme-specific functionality, including:
- Secondary menu gadget
- Ability to hide the Remember me and Forgot password labels within log in form gadgets, and control whether the email and password labels appear within the entry fields, or outside them
- Expanded selection of gadget styles
- Theme-specific styles for slideshow gadgets
- Theme-specific menu styles
- Ability to control the colors and styles of elements within the upcoming events gadgets, recent blog posts gadgets, and forum updates gadgets through the Typography settings
Customizing Whiteboard themes
From the Colors and styles screen, you can customize the colors, fonts, styles, and backgrounds of various elements that appear throughout your site.
You can also customize Whiteboard themes using CSS and theme overrides.