Using the members location mapping gadget, you can display an interactive map that shows where your members are located, and optionally, provides contact information.
A Google billing account is required to access the Google APIs used by this gadget. Access is free up to the following limits: 2,500 requests/day and 50 requests/second. For more information, see Google Geocoding API Usage Limits.
Setting up Google Maps integration
Before you can add the members location mapping gadget to a page on your site, you need to set up your Google Maps integration.
- Go to the Google Maps platform and click the Get Started button.
- On the Enable Google Maps Platform screen that appears, check the Maps and Places checkboxes then click Continue.
- Select or create a project then click Next.
- Enable billing for your project, if it is not already enabled. If you are not logged in as an administrator of a Google billing account, you may need to create a Google billing account or contact your Google account administrator and ask them to enable billing for your Google account.
- Once you are logged in an administrator of a Google billing account, you are prompted to enable your Google Maps APIs and generate an API key. Click Next to do so.
- From the next screen, copy the API key and save it in a secure location. You'll need to paste it later in the field provided within your members location mapping gadget settings.
- On this same screen where you copied the API key, click the API Console link.
- Within the Application restrictions section, select the option to restrict this key's usage to HTTP referrers (websites).
- Enter your Wild Apricot domain name(s) in the fields provided under the Accept requests from these HTTP referrers (websites). Do not enter your domain using the wildcard *.wildapricot.org as this would result in you paying for map views on other Wild Apricot sites.
- Click the API restrictions tab.
Now that your Google maps integration is set up, you can add the members mapping location gadget to a page on your Wild Apricot site. Within the gadget settings, be sure to paste the API key you copied above.
It may take up to 5 minutes for your settings to take effect.
To display the settings for a gadget, hover over the gadget then click the Settings icon.
The following settings are available for members location mapping gadgets.
Members to include
Controls the kinds of members to be displayed on the map. The following options are available:
Include all members with a membership status of Active or Pending Renewal.
From saved search
Use a saved member search to limit members to those that match the saved search criteria. When you choose this option, you can choose from a list of your saved member searches. This option will only appear if you have a saved member search.
Restrict the map to members at selected membership levels. When you click this option, you can choose one or more membership levels. If you check the All levels option then all levels – including any levels added in the future – will be selected.
Restrict the map to members belonging to selected member groups. When you click this option, you can choose one or more member groups. If you check the All groups option then all groups – including any groups added in the future – will be selected.
Show bundle administrator only
Indicates whether to include only bundle administrators and exclude individual members of bundles.
Member address fields
To specify the location of your members, you can choose one or more address fields from your common fields and membership fields. At the very least, you need to choose one field that includes the country name.
You can choose up to 5 common or membership fields to be displayed in the pop-up window that appears for a member when you click a marker within the map.
Display map options
You can specify the height of the map in pixels.
If you specify a gadget title, the title will appear specially formatted within the gadget. Depending on the gadget style you choose, the title may appear in a heading box. If you want to add a description under the title, do not enter a gadget title, but instead, create a content gadget with a title and description, and place the content gadget ahead of this gadget.
For Kaleidoscope themes, use a Headline gadget instead of specifying a gadget title.
The gadget style determines the physical appearance of the gadget. The style you choose will determine the color and format of the gadget title, the gadget content, and the gadget border. You can choose from theme-specific styles and styles that are common to all themes.
The amount of space – in pixels – that appears outside the gadget. You can set top, bottom, left, and right margins separately.
Using the members map
While the gadget is loading the location information for your members, a notice will appear indicating its progress.
To refresh the gadget so that all processed markers are displayed, visitors can click the refresh icon within the notice.
When visitors to your site first view your map, the map is zoomed out to display all markers. Markers indicates the location of individual members. Multiple markers that appear in the same general area are represented by numbers that indicate the number of markers clustered together.
Visitors can click the number to zoom into that area.
Visitors can click markers to view a pop-up window displaying the member information you chose within the gadget settings.