• Formatting the text
• Headline gadget settings
Headline gadgets are specialized content gadgets used to display titles and headings for other gadgets or page sections.
This gadget is only available when using a Casefile or Kaleidoscope website theme.
You can insert a headline gadget above a content gadget or other gadget to act as its title or heading.
If you want your headline gadget to appear as a seamless part of the gadget below it, you can add both gadgets to the same layout cell and set the cell background to a particular color.
For instructions on inserting, moving, and deleting gadgets, see Gadgets.
Formatting the text
The headline gadget includes gadget styles to automatically format the text for light or dark backgrounds. Whatever style you choose, you can format the text yourself using the content editor toolbar.
You can format the text using localized formatting or paragraph styles, or use ArtText to create stylized text with special effects such as drop shadows.
Headline gadget settings
Using a headline gadget's settings, you can control its appearance, including its height, margins, padding, background, and overall style.
For instructions on displaying gadget settings, see Gadgets.
The following settings are available for headline gadgets:
The background color of the content area. To change the currently selected color, click it then click another color from the palette or enter the hex code for the color. To make the background transparent, so that the page background shows through, click the Set to transparent button.
If you choose a gadget style (below) that is not transparent, you may no longer see your background color. You can also set the background color for the layout or placeholder in which the gadget appears.
An image to be displayed as the background for the gadget. To choose a background image, click the Select button, or the Change button if a background image has already been applied. From the dialog that appears, you can choose from images in your theme's library, or images from your account. After you have selected the background image, click Apply background to apply it. After you have applied a background image, you can control the horizontal and vertical alignment, and choose how your image appears within the available space. You can choose from the following Behavior options:
- Tile – the image will be repeated horizontally and vertically to completely fill the available space.
- No repeat or scaling – the image will displayed as is, and will be not be repeated or scaled.
- Repeat horizontally – the image will be repeated horizontally to fill the width of the available space.
- Repeat vertically – the image will be repeated vertically to fill the height of the available space.
- Fill – the image will be stretched to completely fill the available space, and may therefore appear distorted.
- Cover – the image will be proportionally resized to cover the available space, and may therefore be cropped.
- Scale by height – the image will be proportionally resized to fit the height of the available space. Depending on the dimensions of the space, the image may be cropped, or may not fill the entire width of the space.
- Scale by width – the image will be proportionally resized to fit the width of the available space. Depending on the dimensions of the space, the image may be cropped, or may not fill the entire height of the space.
To remove the existing background image, click the Remove link.
If you apply both a background color and a background image, the background image will appear on top of the background color. If you choose a gadget style (below) that is not transparent, you may no longer see your background image. You can also set the background image for the layout or placeholder in which the gadget appears.
The height of the gadget. You can allow the height to be automatically set based on the content of the gadget or set it yourself to a fixed number of pixels. If you have added a background image, you can click Adjust height to background image to automatically adjust the height of the gadget to the height of the image.
The amount of space – in pixels – that appears between the content of the gadget and the outer limits of the gadget. You can set top, bottom, left, and right padding separately. If you have set a fixed height for the gadget, the bottom padding will be ignored. If you have specified a gadget title, the top padding will be applied between the title and the rest of the content.
The amount of space – in pixels – that appears outside the gadget. You can set top, bottom, left, and right margins separately.
The gadget style determines the physical appearance of the gadget. The style you choose will determine the color and format of the gadget title, the gadget content, and the gadget border. You can choose from theme-specific styles and styles that are common to all themes. Depending on whether the gadget style you choose is transparent, you may no longer see your background color and background image.
Within the Advanced section, you can enter CSS code or classes to further control the appearance and behavior of the gadget. For more information, see Advanced gadget settings.